Texas Lawyer Litigates on Behalf of Your Business
If you engage in commerce, sooner or later you are almost certain to encounter a dispute with a client or competitor that requires outside help to resolve. At Brian G. Janis, P.C., we have been assisting businesses for 30 years through civil court trials in both state and federal courts and in alternative dispute resolution. We have the knowledge and experience to help your business in cases related to:
Recovery from breach of contract
When a party to a contract fails to perform, the party causes damages to the other business. These damages often go beyond the immediate inconvenience of getting less than promised by the contract. The breach can also cost you future profits if you are unable to serve your clients as a result. Skilled attorney Brian G. Janis, P.C. can help you achieve the best legal remedy for a breach of contract, such as:
- Compensatory damages – reimbursement for immediate monetary loss
- Consequential and incidental damages – compensation for additional foreseeable losses caused by the breach
- Attorney fees and costs – amounts available under Texas law and if the contract expressly states they are recoverable
- Liquidated damages – amounts specified in the contract that are payable for particular breaches, such as late or substandard performance
- Specific performance – a court order requiring the breaching party to fulfill the terms of the contract
- Punitive damages – penalty for a party’s objectionable behavior, meant to punish the breaching party and discourage other parties from acting in a similar manner
- Rescission – cancellation of the contract, with both sides excused from further performance and payments made under the contract returned
- Reformation – a change in the terms of the contract when the court believes there was an honest misunderstanding by the parties about what was to be performed
Affordable alternatives to a civil suit
The cost of traditional litigation can easily exceed the amount of the contract. Fortunately there are various means of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and arbitration, which are less costly and quicker than civil lawsuits, but can deliver the same remedies. As skilled negotiators, we have successfully represented clients in arbitration and mediation hearings, and have settled lawsuits prior to or in lieu of trial, saving our clients money and getting their businesses back on track.
Contact a dependable Brownsville law firm to get your business moving again
If your business has been damaged by someone else’s conduct, you need to take action. Delaying the exercise of your rights could mean losing them. Recovering damages could make the difference between profitability and insolvency for your company. Contact Brian G. Janis, P.C. online or call us at 956.541.2168 to schedule an appointment.
Brian G. Janis, P.C. is conveniently located in Brownsville
and serves Texas clients in Harlingen, South Padre Island and McAllen.